What is a content management system? How to choose CMS for your site
Implementing a Content Management System (CMS) is one of the most important decisions a website owner will ever make. A CMS is a vital tool that helps to organize and manage your site’s content. It allows you to change the content on your site easily without knowing how to code or paying someone to do it for you.
Moreover, this system can help to make running a site much more accessible and make it even more profitable. However, some CMSs can be better than others. So then, how do you choose one?
In this post, EverRanks will explain what a CMS is, how it works, and some questions you should ask when selecting a CMS for your site. Let’s jump in!
What is a content management system (CMS)?
A content management system (CMS) is a software application that helps users create, manage, and publish digital content. Plus, your website can use a CMS to store and organize text, images, videos, and other digital assets.
These systems are beneficial for whole teams because they allow for the creation, edition, organization, and publication of content. It’s a win-win for content management because it provides a single place to store everything while still automating collaborative digital content creation processes.
Plus, with different roles come different privileges and responsibilities assigned to individuals – so everyone has a part to play that suits their strengths!
What is a content management system used for?
Content management systems can be used for enterprise content management (ECM) or web content management (WCM).
- ECM software typically supports multiple users in a collaborative environment, allowing users to check out and check in content, track and manage versions, and publish content to a website.
- WCM software is typically used by individuals or small groups of users to manage website content.
How many components of a content management system? What are they?
A CMS typically consists of two parts: a content management application (CMA) and a content delivery application (CDA)
- The CMA is the user interface to create, edit, and delete content.
- The CDA is responsible for storing, managing, and delivering the content.
How does a CMS work?
A CMS, or content management system, is a tool that helps the process of creating a website be much more accessible. If you’ve ever built a website from scratch, you know how time-consuming and difficult it can be to add new pages, create navigation, and format your content. A CMS does all that work for you, so you can focus on creating great content for your site.
First, you’ll start with HTML to add text, images, navigation bars, and other essential website elements. Then, you can add CSS to style those elements and make them match your brand’s unique look and feel.
Finally, you would add some extra JS functionality to your site, like slide-ins CTAs. After that, you would save this HTML file to your server, which acts as a database.
Moreover, updating your website’s content can be painful when you have to do it all by hand. Downloading files, editing HTML code, and then making sure everything still works stable as it should when you haven’t touched it.
The benefits of a CMS
More effective organization and collaboration
A CMS enables multiple content marketing team members to contribute and help publish content quickly. This system has workflow management, content storage, and scheduling capabilities to help keep everything organized for the user.
More so, a browser-based content management system (CMS) provides an accessible platform for team collaboration on content projects from anywhere in the world. By working in the same system, teammates can stay up-to-date with the most current version of the project.
No coding require
With platforms that allow you to create and manage content, customize designs, and install extensions without coding, anyone can build a website for their business – even without a lot of technical resources or time.
This makes it possible for users with limited knowledge or resources to create a website that meets their needs and suits their business.
Blog writing has many advantages, especially for businesses. By blogging, you can help increase traffic to your website, convert traffic into leads, become an authority in your industry, generate backlinks, and achieve other long-term results. But creating a blog from scratch can be challenging, even for experienced developers.
And CMS comes to help you make it easy to blog by providing built-in blogging functionality or extensions. This way, you can focus on creating great content and reaping the benefits of publishing blog posts.
Plug-ins and tools for SEO and content optimization
If you’re looking to improve your website’s SEO and increase traffic, a CMS can offer you the ability to add plugins and tools to help with that. These tools might include adding web page titles, meta descriptions, and alt tags within the front-end interface.
Most CMS platforms come with a wide variety of professionally-designed templates that you can use to quickly change the look and feel of your site to better match your brand.
These templates can also positively affect your site’s behavior, like making it more responsive or adding new features without having to touch a single line of code!
How to choose an appropriate CMS for your website
There are many different CMS platforms, so deciding which is right for your business can be tricky. However, here are a few things to look for in a good CMS before you make your decision:
- Ease of use: A good CMS should be easy to use, even for people who aren’t tech-savvy.
- Scalability: CMS should be able to scale as your website grows.
- Design options: Your content management system’s software should offer you an array of website design templates. The software should also enable you to swiftly edit those designs to your specifications (preferably without needing to write code).
- Reasonable price: It’s essential that you do your research on pricing in advance so that you’re not unpleasantly surprised by any unexpected costs later on.
- Data portability: A top-notch CMS platform should have features that enable users to quickly and easily export data so that it can be transferred to another system if needed.
- Extensions and addons: No two websites are exactly the same – just like no two businesses are – which is why no Content Management System (CMS) platform can come with all the features that would fulfill the requirements for every website there. However, this problem can be easily fixed by installing extensions and addons, which are separate pieces of software that you can use to extend the features of your CMS software and add new ones when needed. Think of them as apps for your CMS platform that can be used to tailor the system to suit your needs better.
- Support: A good CMS should have a robust support system so you can get help when you need it.
Top 6 most popular CMS 2023 you should know
WordPress.org is the best choice for a CMS platform for several reasons:
- First, it’s the world’s most popular CMS software. And you know what – WordPress powers approximately 43% of websites on the internet.
- Second, it’s free and open-source software released under the GPL license. This means that you can use it for any purpose, including building commercial sites.
- Third, WordPress is extendable, with over 55,000 plugins and 10,215 free themes available on WordPress.org.
- Fourth, it has a large community of developers and users who can help you if you need support.
WordPress.com is the commercial, hosted version of WordPress. It’s easy to confuse it with WordPress.org, the open-source, self-hosted WordPress.
WordPress.com is an all-in-one CMS platform that will take care of hosting for you. You have the option to purchase a domain name, or you can use a free subdomain that comes with WordPress.com branding.
HubSpot CMS Hub is a content management system designed for marketing and business professionals. It is fully integrated, meaning it can manage all aspects of your website’s content.
Besides, CMS Hub is a great solution for businesses of all sizes – from growing businesses to large enterprises – because it’s built on top of HubSpot’s CRM platform. The CRM platform includes marketing automation, sales, service, and operations tools, so having all those features in one system is helpful.
Plus, the website management features of CMS Hub are top-notch, so it’s an excellent choice for businesses that want to have a well-managed website.
WooCommerce is one of the most widely used eCommerce platforms in the world. It’s flexible and easy to manage, making it an excellent choice for businesses of all sizes. WooCommerce isn’t technically a CMS platform itself. This platform instead runs on WordPress as a plugin. So, if you want to use WooCommerce, you’ll need to install WordPress on your site.
According to W3Techs, if WooCommerce were a CMS platform, it would have 5.8% of the market share. That’s the percentage of all websites in the world that use it.
BigCommerce is an eCommerce platform that takes care of everything for you, from hosting your site to providing the actual CMS platform to handling security and backups. It’s easy to get started with, even if you’re a beginner, and it’s a great solution for anyone who wants a turnkey eCommerce solution.
Shopify is an all-in-one hosted CMS platform, which means you don’t need to buy hosting, install any software, or manage updates and backups. It has a user-friendly drag-and-drop interface and supports in-store sales – perfect if you have a physical store as well as an online presence.
A content management system, or CMS for short, is a software platform for building websites. By using a CMS, you can easily add, edit, organize, and remove content from your website without knowing how to code.
Moreover, A CMS is a great way to get a website up and running quickly without worrying about how the site is built. We hope you’ve found this blog post helpful. Take a look at EverRanks. From there, you can find out more about different CMS options and how they can help create a great website for your business.
A list of the best websites for small business owners,…
To check the spelling and grammar of an English text,…
1. What is a website design and SEO company? A…